Shelton State Community College
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the mission and goals of the community college as well as the Health Services Division and the Health Information Technology Program
- Schedule and coordinate all Health Information student clinical assignments
- Demonstrate and maintain a high level of competence and expertise in the teaching field and subject area
- Teach courses as assigned by the Program Director and design and deliver each course ensuring an effective learning experience
- Submit to the Program Director a course plan for each course taught in accordance with college guidelines
- Provide instruction for Program courses in the day, evening, or online on any Shelton State campus or instructional site
- Implement effective and comprehensive use of current technology and appropriate equipment in instruction
- Inform students concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance requirements, and academic progress
- Provide for effective evaluation of the learning experience of each student
- Maintain necessary attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to announced deadlines
- Participate in institutional and departmental planning and assessment processes
- Assist with program accreditation requirements
- Demonstrate effective people skills, communication skills, and work ethics
- Participate in recruiting for the Program
- Serve as a college liaison with the health information community
- Assist the Program Director with developing and managing the departmental budget in support of institutional goals and mission
- Advise students regarding academic course offerings as assigned
- Demonstrate ability to use the computer effectively for word processing, electronic communication, and for appropriate computer applications in the teaching discipline
- Seek continuous quality improvement of the Health Information Program curriculum, instruction, and resources
- Participate in college events and functions
- Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
- Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
- Participate in faculty meetings, division/department meetings, and discussions about curriculum, teaching-learning techniques, teaching materials, and other instructional related activities
- Submit a Professional Growth Plan, in accordance with Board policy, for approval by the President prior to pursuing advancement in rank
- Assist in the development of the departmental class schedule
- Demonstrate commitment to:
- Student retention and success
- Challenging and cultivating student achievement beyond the classroom
- Supporting a diverse population of learners
- Working in a participatory and collegial setting
- Supporting continuous improvement of curricula and services
- Participation in professional growth activities relative to subject area
- Serve on College committees as required
- Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities required
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Clinical Education Coordinator for the Health Information Technology
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of entry-level and advanced health information technology skills including working with specialized HIT software and medical coding systems (ICD-10 CM/PCS, CPT-4)
- Knowledge of and ability to use the following electronic resources in the classroom/office environment: word processing software, presentation software, internet, course management systems, and other commonly used office software and equipment
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credential
- Minimum of three years of practice experience in health information field
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Master’s Degree
- Teaching experience in a health information technology program at the postsecondary level
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Application Procedures: Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 205.391.2272 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The submission of a complete packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense for all in-person interviews.
Application Requirements: A completed application packet consists of:
- A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicant’s education, certifications, licenses, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
- A hand signed Shelton State Community College employment application. Failure to hand sign the employment application will remove the applicant from consideration.
- A current resume.
- A copy of current license to practice as a RHIT or RHIA in the state of Alabama.
- A copy of all postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned. If employed, all official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the employment start date.
Application materials must be mailed, emailed, or hand delivered to: Office of Human Resources Room 3605 Shelton State Community College 9500 Old Greensboro Road Box 238 Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 email@example.com
No faxed applications will be accepted. If you have questions, please call 205.391.2272.
Application Deadline: The deadline for submitting all application materials to the Office of Human Resources is January 16, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Absent special circumstances, incomplete or late application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview.