Noland Health Services, Inc.
Summary of Duties:
Performs concurrent and discharge coding functions for the Hospital Division.
Essential Job Functions
- Works in conjunction with the Clinical Liaison(s) to assign a preliminary Diagnosis Related Grouping (“DRG”) to anticipated admissions prior to the scheduled admit date.
- Conducts the review of medical records for in-house patients and assigns a working DRG within forty-eight (48) hours of admission.
- Reviews and evaluates the working DRG as often as necessary, but, no less than weekly, and updates the working DRG as indicated.
- Conducts physician queries for clarification purposes, and monitors response to such queries.
- Reviews records of discharged patients and assigns ICD9CM diagnostic and procedural codes as indicated by documentation in the medical record.
- Abstracts patient discharge data and enters it into the designated software system.
- Provides necessary documentation to billing services for the timely, accurate processing of patient bills.
- Maintains a process by which the working DRG is compared to the final DRG and communicates discrepancies to the Administrator.
- Responds to DRG inquiries from the Quality Improvement Organization.
- Coordinates, in conjunction with the Information Technology Department, the use and maintenance of the DRG grouping software.
- Makes recommendations for policy revision regarding ICD-10 and DRG assignments.
Physical Requirements for Essential Job Functions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. occasionally, 20 lbs. frequently and 10 lbs. constantly.
- Must be able to walk, sit, stoop and stand intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to work with hands and fingers throughout the workday.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable senses to function adequately so that requirements of the position can be fully met.
A minimum of two (2) years experience coding inpatient records in an acute care setting is preferred.
Registered Health Information Administrator (“RHIA”) or Registered Health Information Technologist (“RHIT”) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) is preferred.
Apply Online: http://www.nolandhealth.com