Navigant – UAB Health
Navigant Consulting, Inc. (NYSE: NCI) is a specialized, global professional services firm that helps clients take control of their future.
Navigant’s professionals apply deep industry knowledge, substantive technical expertise, and an enterprising approach to help clients build, manage and/or protect their business interests.
With a focus on markets and clients facing transformational change and significant regulatory or legal pressures, the Firm primarily serves clients in the healthcare, energy and financial services industries.
Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and technology/analytics services, Navigant’s practitioners bring sharp insight that pinpoints opportunities and delivers powerful results.
More information about Navigant can be found at navigant.com.
- The Remote Medical Coder- Inpatient (Acute Care) will review clinical documentation as appropriate to extract data and apply ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnostic and procedural codes for billing, internal and external reporting, research and regulatory compliance.
- Will code inpatient types (i.e. commercials, introduction and training for Medicare, deaths, rehabilitative medicine admissions/discharges and interim bills according to the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting while ensuring the highest level of confidentiality, excellent service, accuracy and timeliness.
- This is a 100% remote position.
- Reviews and evaluates clinical documentation to identify diagnosis, treatments operative procedures, therapies, etc. in the paper medical record, IMPACT, Horizon and other clinical applications; assigns and sequences ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnostic and procedural codes in the Quantim encoder identifying the principal diagnosis, principal procedure, secondary procedures and complications and co-morbidities to obtain the appropriate MS-DRG for billing. Identifies surgeon for each procedure and enters correct data for same.
- Performs concurrent coding for interim billing.
- Refers the medical record for clinical review such as CDMP review, death review, HAC review, physician query review, broken accounts, excision debridement and/or other categories as requested by management.
- Works incomplete accounts and notifies supervisor of any changes that are delaying the billing of the account.
- Maintains current knowledge of coding and reimbursement guidelines and abides by the standards of ethical coding as defined by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Maintains the highest degree of confidentiality of all information encountered including verbal, written and computerized. Reports to manager any failure by anyone to protect confidential information
- Keyboarding proficiency.
- Basic knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Organizational skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Two (2) years coding experience required or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) OR currently licensed or licensed by endorsement as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the Alabama Board of Nursing and certified as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) required.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited Health Information Technology or School of Nursing program.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Send resume to Susan.Goshen@navigant.com, call (714) 361-6846 or apply online.